Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Cost of Adoption

I've always told my son, jokingly, not to get himself injured or killed because I paid good money for him:  "Wear your helmet.  I paid good money for that brain of yours."  "Don't run after your ball in the street.  I paid $28 for you."  and so on.
I should mention that this year I am also his teacher -- not a situation I would recommend to any other single mom out there.  So at school I told him, "Don't tip your chair back.  I paid good money for you, and I don't want you to fall on your head."
Gasps filled the classroom:  "Your mom paid for you?  How much?"
Derrick, very proudly:  "Yeah, my mom paid $28 for me.  See, adopted kids, they're paid for.  Kids that are just born to their parents are free."
I didn't burst his bubble...

No comments:

Post a Comment