Monday, January 16, 2012

A little bit of paint goes a long, long ways...

I've decided that painting walls is easier than washing old spaghetti sauce off them.  The trouble with painting things is that it spreads.  I started out patching a small section of wall, then texturing, priming, and painting it.  But why stop there?  I textured several spots where the previous owner had patched the walls.  (Please don't patch your walls with caulking!  It might be paintable, but it's still shiny & smooth.)  Then I primed them and painted them.  I still had primer left, so I started in on some door frames.  Well, the walls looked awfully dingy next to the cleanly primed door frames, so I touched them up too...  Have you ever read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?

While I was up on the stepstool painting, I decided it was a good time to replace the fan in Derrick's room with a flush-mount light that won't chop his head off or break when he bounces a ball into it.  Here's his new light on the left:
Then, not wanting to waste a perfectly good light-fan combo, I used his to replace the light-fan combo in my own room.  Mine was in good shape, but a little larger than the room needed.  Here's my "new" light on the right:
Well, my living room light-fan combo really did need to be replaced.  The light pull snapped off and could not be fixed or replaced easily.  So of course my light went into the living room:
 And the living room light-fan combo is on its way out to the ReStore.
Lest you think I did this all myself, I'll confess that Derrick washed all the blades and glass fixtures for me, Brooklynn collected all the dropped screws, and Buddy kept me company until I dropped a screwdriver point down by his tail the second time.  My dad helped with the final fan, lifting it up to me and all.
Now I'm working on the kids' rooms again.  January seems to be the month to do new things!  Derrick will be getting a football-themed room with blue sky upper walls, and green lower walls with yard markings.  And of course, a big O in the middle!  Brooklynn already has a sky blue room with a shelf full of my old Strawberry Shortcake collection:
I have a few more coloring books to frame for her walls.  I also found a vintage Strawberry Shortcake quilt for a wall hanging.  I'm painting an old greenish bookshelf pale pink.  After it cures, I'll decoupage some of the pictures from the vintage coloring books onto the bookshelf.  Just hope she doesn't grow out of pink too soon!


Old & ugly



Glistening pink!



No comments:

Post a Comment